Thursday, June 21, 2007

Sudden Aging


Funny how time flies when you are trying to keep up with it, it feels more like a glimpse. I've always knew that this day shall come as a natural sequence of time. Hasn't been anticipating it, but knew that it was coming for sure and I have to deal with it. I've never conceived how would it feel or what words shall come out. I never thought that destiny is going to stuck me in the corner forcing me to relive my story again. To witness it all over again, to enrich my agony, to live it and witness a second version of it.

It feels like yesterday when my sister was more like my kid daughter, it didn't feel long since I used to brush her hair, adjust her clothes and tuck her to bed. But everyone grows old and who used to be a kid turned to be a young woman and young women have a destiny to fulfill.

The moment I got that call, it felt like time has frozen up and made me speechless, I didn't think it's going to happen this soon. Someone is actually proposing to my kid sister!! I've always felt that she is still my kid sister and it was like a sudden revealing moment that she is actually a woman and not a kid anymore!! I knew that day would come and I knew that it is the day that I fulfill my duty to her.

Memories fast rewinding and my brain can't process such input. I've always tried to replace the dad my sisters lost and to be the friend, big brother and father and if necessary the mother. As I hanged up the phone, I felt like I grew really old and reminded me that time isn't standing still, old enough to take the place of a father with a bride daughter. I've lived to see the task destiny chose for me, I've always felt like a father to them, but this incident made me feel way much older in a very strange way. I've never experienced such emotion, it was a strange but a sweet feeling.

As I shock all those ideas of my head and tried to summon up the facts, I saw the ugly face of time once again. I've memorized all its face features and I still carry all the scars of our previous acquaintances. Regardless the fact that I feel she is still too young to handle the responsibility of a family, maybe because I've always been the one who took that task and never imagined her taking it herself. She hasn't finished up her studies yet and the path's end isn't close enough to prepare the gear for another path. I know many do carry on with their studies while maintaining a family, but I can't help it to be petrified that she might not succeed with such burdens.

I've sworn that I shall never let my sisters relive my story again, I shall never let family control those matters, if the heart chooses someone then I shall never break their hearts, it's not like a family legacy that has to be carried by all members. But why have I been chosen to be put in such situation, to be forced into disapproval!! I've always told them that it's totally up to them to choose as long as the groom is decent and qualified and by qualified I ain't setting impossible standards, just good enough to insure a good marriage. Why would this first test be too god damn hard? The groom from another country which makes it so hard for me to accept it, letting her go and live in another country, all alone with no family to turn to in case she needs them and leave her deserted. I've come to know that she is agreeing though I haven't brought up the topic with her yet, trying to procrastinate it till she finishes this year in college. I don't want anything to interrupt her studies. And I know that sooner or later I have to face it.

If I say no, then I shall always live with the guilt of breaking her heart and shall see a rerun of my story in her eyes. What if this crushes her and she ends up hating me, her life and everything else. Am I willing to endure both my pains and hers. Will I break my promise of never standing against their happiness? Neither options shall put my heart on rest.



12 comments:

  1. I'm sure that's a very hard decision you have to make, but you owe it to her to tell her. Also make her aware of what it means if she accepted, moving away, the lifestyle change, leaving friends and family, etc, etc. From what you said, I'm guessing you wanted to marry someone your parents dissaproved off? Or didn't let you marry. You know how it hurts. I'm in the same position. It's one of the worst feelings I think ANYONE can experience - being torn.

    Talk to her about it, have a nice chat about everything and see how it goes. Don't be fast to accept or deny. Ask her to take her time making the decision, see how it goes, and then decide

    Not saying that's going to work out for the best, but that's what I'd do

    Good luck with that, hope it turns out to be the best for everyone
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "disheelled"

    Thanks for your input, the outcome of such conversation is what concerns me the most. I'll try to be as delicate as possible while explaining the result of such approval. All I know is that she has the need to be loved specially now and might skew her mind. I don't want her to be mesmerized by the idea and neglecting the facts. Many things might influence her judgment and thus put me in a dead corner to double the unbearable burden.
    One thing for sure is that being hasty isn't going to solve it in anyway. I hope that she weighs things and tries to agree with the facts.

    Yes, it is a torment to have your heart ripped out by other person's parents disapproval. Ironically, I might have to do it myself and pass the blade to her. Hope it doesn't reach that verge eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly admire the love and concern you have for your sister.

    Have you had the conversation with her yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for visiting my blog...I am honored. stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. >> Magical Droplets
    I've got to wait till the end of October when she finishes up her semester, then I shall have the conversation with her.

    >> Frieda
    Thank you for your tremendous inspirational posts. Can't get enough of them. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say that I've been in ur shoes but i witnessed others who did... If the issue was being far away, then you have to think (although its hard) that at the end its her life here or there.. its not yours (not saying it in a rude way :) ) ... If its about not knowing the person, I agree that you should try to ask about him, learn more... but at the end marriage has its own risk, it can work or fail and its not wrong if it does... no matter what she'll always have family ... and if it works Inshallah then she'll have her own family and life and although its harsh , but they'll be her priority ... I believe if two GOOD people want to be together and nothing religiously stands in the way, then they should ... life is a risk and mistakes are not "haram"...

    Am not in a position to give advice,,, but i do wish you the best of luck...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Touche:

    its as if your life is finally beginning to pace ever forward then the track stops and the next song is on. and you don't like that next song... i've been there mate, i share your pain...

    With regards to your baby sister, i think what you need to find out is her thought process over the whole marriage and moving situation. with that, i believe, you can better assess if your little sister has made you proud and is in full control of her life. though it's hard, thats what being the guardian is all about :)

    you're sister is so lucky to have a friend of your character. i hope all goes smoothly mate.

    thx for visiting the apothecary, don't be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Censored!Mind"

    I see your point and I do agree at the end it's up to her and it's her life. But I can't help it not to worry myself to death when faced with such decision, or maybe it's the feeling of being once a guardian, always a guardian.

    "Q8 Apothecary"

    Your words are kind and thoughtful, the issue is that how can I tell that she will never regret her decision and I don't want her to feel that I let her down in anyway if the results were unbearable. Everyone is bound to take the chances when it comes marriage where nothing is guaranteed, still I want to make sure that I did my part and try to have some sense of risk control.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You seem like a good brother and a father figure so am sure you'll be able to make good judgement on your part.. I can imagine that its a difficuly decision... There are many Ifs (if it doesn't succeed, if he's not as good as we thought, if she can't live abroad.....) but what if you can see the other side..If it succeeds, if he turned to be the best man you met, if she became the happiest person ... I know this sounds unrealistic or lame specially when it comes to issues such as this ... but I believe that there are many risks in life and we need to see the positive side of those risks taken not the negative ... I know someone who was in a similar situation (in Saudi arbia too) and now 4 years, they are very happy...So I guess we do all we can to advise, inform, detect... but at the end "illi Allah Katebah" ... G'luck Bro ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. censored!mind:

    Nicely put...

    Touché:

    some decisions in life my friend are inevitably gonna be regretted. but thats not supposed to deter anyone.

    if she thought about it in a mature and logic pattern and it didn't work out, then it's not really her fault. there wasn't anything else she could of done. there's only so much we can control mate...

    and in the words of Mr. Marley...

    "Here's a little song i wrote, you might want to sing it note for note...

    Don't worry, Be happy..!

    In every life we have some trouble, but when we worry we make it double...

    Don't worry, Be happy...!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope additional factors have become known and you can see the path more clearly.

    You are right, there are NO guarantees with any marriage.

    And you are loving and caring to want only good for your sweet sister.

    But I agree with Magical . . .it would be respectful if you would tell your sister, and talk to her, and tell her you both need to think about this, about the pros and cons. She may have some helpful input. And your confidence in her judgement honors her and her maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. >> Intlxpatr:

    No new input regarding the matter, I spent a week with her as she came back to visit between her exams. I didn't find it as an appropriate time it bring up the topic and had been trying to sense any vibes that might be an indicator. Mostly she is thinking about her studies.

    She is off till the end of October when she shall be done with her exams and then I'll bring it up.

    I'm being over protective since she has always been the center of our attraction (male) being daddy's girl which then became my task to fill his shoes and turning to be the father, big brother and best friend. I'm just worried that it might have some influence on her judgment as her constant need for attention (I know I'm being too analytical).

    Doing the right thing is the best action to be taken.

    Thank you for your kind input.

    ReplyDelete

If you insist